Air vs. Static

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Air vs. Static

Post by evoRSTroy on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:58 am

Lets discuss this a bit, as I'm not sure which direction to go with the new project.

Pros and Cons of either?

Personally, all of my cars have been static, so I don't have much insight to the air side of things.
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Re: Air vs. Static

Post by Dj on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:28 am

Static means you can be a fagt about your car being low all the time essentially meaning you are better than the world.

No but really air is nice sometimes. You can go up if you are I25 hitting those jumps at 75mph. Or an instance when you want to park in the garage instead of the street cause your curb is so tucking big. Depending on how you build your setup it can ride like a dream.
Bad things, a lot of time to install, takes up space, things can and will go wrong. Ever changing alignment so depending on who/how its driven you can eat tires fast.

Static, simple is key. Dial in a good height and you are golden. Kinda gay on sold rears cause you can't get awesome fitment and still expect to be able to hit your average bump in the road. If it has IRS then slam away cause the depression of the suspension will cause more.camber which will tuck the wheel and tire.

I honestly like both. As you have seen my xB is on air. I set it up to be slow and simple cause I rarely mess with it. I drive slammed everywhere and really only ever fill the bags for those occasions when you are gonna rip something off. My Q on the otherhand is static and I've been takeing precautions like shortening the oil pan and such. I know how much of a bitch it is to drive static so I'm sure this long ass car will be getting high centered a lot.

Admin

http://Get-Rowdy.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:44 am

i am a fan of both.. in different situations.. i like the idea of being able to dump something to park hard as fuck.. i also like the ease and simplicity of static..

dj surprised me with the ease and lower than expected cost of looking at air.. and depending on what the project is.. some of the bolt on stuff is less $$$ than i thought too..

for me.. money really would come into play on the decision.. and the car/direction..

for example.. my corolla's will be static.. for ease and cost.. but my '52 studebaker and '65 dodge d100 will be air.. for being able to dump on faces..
Benny
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by evoRSTroy on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeah, I really like the simple idea of set it and go. Although at full slam the cars don't ride all that great (other than the Z, that ish was amazing) on cheap coils.

I'm torn. I would like to go air to be able to use the car on longer trips and to still be able to drive unkown roads without worry, but I'm not sure I want to shell out the $$$ and give up the limited space in the car to achieve it. Might need to mess around with Christians car more to get a better idea.
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:23 pm

Ya, its really nice to be able to go to unknown places and never worry about getting stuck. I still have a spare and everything too. I know some people who take it all out but I just would hate to be stranded with a flat. I do have a setup in mind but no time to do it. Would make better use of the whole foot I have behind the back seat

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bbaction on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 pm

I like my air, but there are times it makes me nervous. there are some things that time and money willing i plan on changing so its more full proof but i'm going on 2 years air on a daily w/compressor OUTSIDE the car its held up well.
bbaction
Smooth Like Buttah

Back to top Go down

Post by evoRSTroy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 pm

bumping this thread so we don't ruin the coop build thread.

So, what Strut/bag company is the jam to go with?

doing research, tax return is coming....
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 pm

Oh the joys of tax returns. I never get shit back. Idk how the Fuck people get 6k back.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evoRSTroy on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm

I'll be getting some back, but not a fantastic amount.

so what strut/bag setup?
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Get any kind of quality struts. My UA bags have been going solid for 3 years now.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evoRSTroy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:00 pm

k. I'll keep searching mgaytree air stuff. thinking I would like to go that route instead of coilovers.
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by bbaction on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:20 am

I'm rocking a similar setup as DJ so that's 2 for UAS bags and quality struts to put under it but I've heard/read good things about the easy street stuff for VW's and i'm assuming you could find nice used ones on the forums for a good price.
bbaction
Smooth Like Buttah

Back to top Go down

Post by Benny on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:18 pm

hey dj.. dom will help you get some more scratch back...
Benny
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Not much cause apparently they stopped with the fatty allotment for child's

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evoRSTroy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

how about the ride quality? good? My Z was fantastic, would love to have that in the mk3.

and digi no bueno? less air lines, more wiring, more issues? stick with just a paddle setup?
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Mine rides like a bute. Air up to not trash the car on i25. Xb is always kinda rough over larger bumps cause the short wheel base as well as the gay rear axle similar to vw. Im sure alex is smooth with his 16s. Much more tire than I.

My biggest complaint about my digital was it was way to touchy. Along with one time randomly my ecu for the system just stopped working. Kinda left me stranded for 2 weeks. Oh. And valves can stick. Which happened to me in cold ass temps. Stuck open so it wouldnt fill the bag.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by evoRSTroy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 am

yeah, Christian has had issues like that

hmm
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dj on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Just get coils so you can think you are cooler than people on springs and bags.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bbaction on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Yeah ive ridden on 205/40s when i had 17s, but its going to be rough on big bumps no matter. i mean think about super stiff track setup on a daily but if you only drive on the surface streets with proper pressure then its plenty nice even with low pro tyres. digital gauges only if you want digi...
bbaction
Smooth Like Buttah

Back to top Go down

Post by evoRSTroy on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:54 pm

I keep looking at coils, just because they are inexpensive, but I would like to be able to drive this car out of town, or on unknown roads, without worry.
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top