tire shiz

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tire shiz

Post by Dj on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:51 am

This is a writeup I did on another forum because people always bitch about cupping. Always blame the tire and think we sold them bad ones. Its not our fault, its a combination usually that causes the situation. I suppose read this if you want.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just needed to put in my 2 cents here.

Tire cupping is stupid and noisy and UNAVOIDABLE in most cases. And trust me on this, ive been in the automotive industry for a while now and Ive worked with tires for the past 5 years straight. This is something I see every day and its almost an annoyance.

What causes cupping is alignment. Simply put the culprit would be town and camber. Every car has some toe and some camber. Some more than others weather it be an Audi with sporty suspension or an Civic Hybrid there will be camber/toe. In my personal situations I can tell you that too much toe in is going to cause bad cupping, adding camber only helps the process because you are now putting the weight of the vehicle on just the inside shoulder. This will make your tires wear far more quickly.

The cure is not as easy to assess as the culprit though. A few things you can do to help with cupping start with the tire itself. Choose your tires wisely, close tread blocks or interlocked tread blocks will not do this as much or at all. Tires that have bigger gaps between the tread and larger tread blocks are were this normally becomes a problem. The next thing to do is make sure the alignment is spot on. Make sure you see the results of your alignment, even -1° of camber and a little toe can lead to this problem with the right tires. It is a tough thing though because most cars are designed with handling in mind now a days so you will always have this. The other thing is choosing non directional tires. I know a lot of tires are made directional now a days but this is a killer for cars that have a sportier alignment. Rotating front to back will do very little to NOTHING AT ALL on an AWD. On RWD/FWD it will be different because obviously 2 are getting power, 2 are not. In my personal situations Ive run directional tires backwards to help wear the cupping back down. It works, it may not be "safe" because in a rain storm or snow you are channeling the water to the inside of the tread. But in the name of saving tires it works. If you can get non directional tires for your application do so because they will be able to be rotated from side to side as well as back to front, making them last significantly longer. Always check your tire pressure too because that can lead to uneven wear, wont cause cupping but can assist in it, in most cases I see worn out front shoulders from under-inflation before I see anything else caused by under-inflation.

Cupped tire:

non directional tire, never have seen cupping on these EVER. (Destiny)

directional tire with large channeling, cup everytime (NT555)

Nitto neo gen tire. You can see on the right the tread block never ends, just squiggles back and forth. These tires and others like it are good for cars that insist on having a bad alignment.

Admin

http://Get-Rowdy.net

Back to top Go down

Re: tire shiz

Post by evoRSTroy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 am

thanks for the info!
evoRSTroy
Hawt Stuffs!

Back to top Go down

Re: tire shiz

Post by Dj on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:02 pm

Yeah if it helps then good.